and Questionable Associations
Many think that Michael Farris is the good guy in the white hat who heroically rides in on his white horse to save the day for homeschoolers. Many are not aware that Farris has a controversial history that goes back three decades.
Farris, head of Homeschool Legal Defense Association (HSLDA), is like a man running in perpetual circles. It is difficult to follow where he is really heading. His activities have often seemed suspicious to those of us who oppose education reform.
Below is a brief compilation of his circuitous activities. This summary is not a complete list by any means, but it is a start. You are responsible readers. Read this and evaluate for yourself. Follow the links. Study the rabbit trails. You won't agree with everything you read, but you should learn enough to raise serious questions.
Farris & Con-Con
Farris has a decades-long support for a Constitutional Convention. This despite his public rhetoric to the homeschooling community that he is an all-star patriotic defender of the original American Constitution as authored by our honorable forefathers. In fact, he is leading the charge for a Con-Con, donning yet another white hat while he races around. Below are several current links of interest:
- Publius Huldah's website: http://publiushuldah.wordpress.com
- Farris's article on WND: "Why we need a constitutional convention now"
- Article: "Michael Farris' Ironic Plan To Remake The Supreme Court"
- Article: "EXTREMISM IN THE CON-CON ARTICLE V MOVEMENT CANNOT BE IGNORED"
- Article: "GRASPING AT POISON STRAWS - PART ONE - CONVENTION OF STATES"
- Article: "Home Schooling to the Rescue?"
Farris & Parental Rights
Farris has a decades-long support for various versions of a bill that would sharply curtail parental rights in the United States. Done under the guise of a "parental rights" or "parental rights and responsibilities" amendment, it furthers an agenda to give the STATE a compelling interest in the life of a child. Farris's circuitous legal twists would become the educrats' dream come true!
- What is the PRRA?
- Is Freedom Burning?
- Is the Cure Worse Than the Disease?
- The Three-Legged Stool: "Imprudent, Dangerous" and Unconstitutional
- Excerpts on the New Global RIGHTS & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Dr. Charles Rice's Opinion of the PRRA & Supplemental Correspondence
- The American Center for Law and Justice Input on PRRA
- National Right to Life Commitee Position Statement
- Publius Huldah's article on the PRA (current)
- Farris’ response to her article
- Publius Huldah's response to Farris (note editor's comment).
Farris & Money$$$
See this website for key articles detailing Farris and his profitable activities: http://www.michaelfarrismoneymotive.org
Farris & Controversies
Farris is not loved by all. See the following websites and articles detailing distrust and deception. Some think that Farris runs circles around people by engaging in crisis mongering: i.e., hyping a crisis and then proposing a pre-determined solution. This crisis mode keeps up his public image as the guy in the white hat racing to save the day.
- Spend a few minutes scouring this website: http://www.nheld.com
- Read this for a real eye-opener about the deception of HSLDA: http://www.nheld.com/CTSB930.htm
- Go to: http://hsislegal.com and just look at the main page. Follow all the blue links and you will end up with many anti-Farris articles. This site is one of the major alternatives to HSLDA. Follow the blue links on the right hand column for refutations of HSLDA's practice of crisis mongering.
Farris crisis mongering? Watch video HERE
- Article: "Homeschooling Under Fire"
- Article: "HSLDA Runs Roughshod in NH"
Farris & Extreme Patriarchy
Farris has long been associated with a fringe patriarchy agenda promoting a top-down domination of women and their daughters. This creepy movement is finally being exposed now that victims are coming forward to tell their stories. Extreme patriarchy was marketed to the homeschoolers as a form of patriotism, God-and-family, and "God's order for the family." However, two of its top salesmen, both associated with Farris, have now been exposed as lecherous old men -- Bill Gothard and Doug Phillips. It is only now, when everything is coming out in the open, that Farris is attempting to distance himself from all this.
- Article: "Michael Farris, Patriarchy, and Doug Phillips: An Expose"
- Article: Dear Michael Farris, Sexual Abuse Isn’t a “Basic Strength” That “Can Get Out of Control”
- Article: "Origins of Botkin Syndrome"
- Webpage: Lourdes Torres-Manteufel vs Doug Phillips Lawsuit Informational Resource Page
Read this webpage HERE
- Article: "The Package: Bill Gothard’s Knowledge of Sin"
- Joshua Harris, an author, minister, and the well-known son of Farris' associate Gregg Harris, was involved in a high profile cover-up of yet another pedophile sexual scandal within C.J. Mahaney's Sovereign Grace Ministries. See this website which has been documenting the horrors: http://www.brentdetwiler.com
- See the website Midwest Christian Outreach and search the site with the term "Gothard." Don Veinot has been on top of the exploding Bill Gothard controversies, and earlier wrote a book about Gothard titled A Matter of Basic Principles.
Farris & Extreme Dominionism
Mike Farris has a longtime association with leading Reconstructionist Dominionists. Early on in his career he co-chaired the Coalition on Revival's "The Christian World View of Law" committee. This fact is documented in Al Dager's classic 1990 book Vengeance Is Ours: The Church In Dominion (available HERE) which included an entire chapter on the Coalition on Revival (COR). Many old-time education researchers experienced this group and its agenda. COR was founded in 1984 by Dr. Jay Grimstead and it produced 17 "sphere documents" articulating an agenda to seize dominion over the social, cultural and political arenas of America. Just google a few of the names of men leading the steering committee: e.g., Gary DeMar, Bob Simonds, Dennis Peacocke, Cal Beisner, Bob Mumford. You will find they all shared a dangerous dream of dominion. Read more:
- Article: "Dominionism and the Rise of Christian Imperialism"
- Article: "What Is Dominionism?"
- Article: "Ron Paul Curriculum Launched by Reconstructionist Gary North and Neo-Confederate Thomas Woods"
- Article: "Rushdoony's Theocratic Libertarianism at Work in the Nation's Statehouses"
- Website with key article: "The Homeschool Movement: Reconstructionist Movement, Michael Farris, HSLDA, and Patrick Henry College"
- Farris has been associated with Vision Forum and other Dominionists: http://rethinkingvisionforum.org/vision-forum-affiliates/
- Article about COR: "Seven Spheres of Influence"